Creating Key Results provides a specific and measurable target to track progress, ensuring clarity, focus, and alignment towards achieving the desired goal.
To create a Key Result,
Step 1: Select the Goals module from the Performance tab on the Homepage.
Step 2: Click on the Add new button.
Step 3: In the dropdown that opens, click on New Key Result.
The "Add Key Result" screen will open as a side panel.
Alternatively, you can also create a key result by clicking on Create a Key Result on the Homepage.
Step 4: Mesh Goals follow the OKR goal-setting methodology, which mandates your key results to be aligned to a parent objective or key result. Align your Key Result to a parent in the Alignment section.
If you are an Admin and you wish to create key results without aligning them to a parent goal, please reach out to us to enable the "KR-KR Cascading" feature for your organisation.
The Timeline of the Key Result is mentioned by default depending on the timeline selected while creation or the timeline of the parent objective/key result. Changing the timeline would require a re-alignment of the key result since it would have to be re-aligned to parent in the changed timeline.
You can read more about re-aligning to different timelines here.
Step 5 : Provide a Title to the Key Result to add clarity and focus to its purpose and facilitate effective communication and tracking.
Step 6 : You can also provide a short Description of your Key Result to provide more context to your team. Click on the + Add description button to add a description.
Step 7: Tracking is an integral part of a key result, and thus, it is mandatory to set up the parameters required for the same.
- By default, the tracking type would be set to via Mesh for the Key Result. With further updates, you would also be able to track your Key Result automatically using third-party integrations (such as Salesforce, Jira etc.) making the process even more seamless.
- Select the Type as Independent or Dependent.
Select Independent if you wish to track the Key Result independently, and the owner/collaborator would manually check in progress on the same.
Select Dependent if you wish to derive the progress of the Key Result from its child key results (possible only when "KR - KR cascading" is enabled).
For instance, suppose you have a strategic key result as “Close 100 clients by the end of the quarter”.
It has 2 child key results, assigned to your associate sales leads, as the task would be distributed among them.
In this case, you can set the tracking for the strategic key result to be dependent on the child key results as above, so that the progress would be automatically calculated for this strategic key result based on the check-ins made on its child key results.
The progress for the strategic key result will automatically update based on check-ins made to its child key results.
You can refer to this article to learn more about checking in a key result.
- For "Independent tracking", or "Dependent tracking" with Average as the calculating method, set the start and end values, and choose the Metric that would be tracked with the Key Result. You would also have to set how the Key Result would be measured. By default, key results are tracked with Progress as a metric, measured in Percentage, since the same information is populated in the List View for all goals (objectives or key results).
Step 8 : To add information such as a owners, visibility etc. to the Key Result, click on the Add additional info button.
- Assign the Key Result to its Owners and Collaborators (if any). By default, the person creating the objective is added as the owner.
- Configure the Visibility of the Key Result in the Visibility section. You can choose to make the Key Result available for Public viewership (throughout your company) or Private viewership (visible only to Owners, Collaborators and their Managers).
- You can set a custom start date and end date to the Key Result within the timeline chosen using the Start Date and End Date fields for more granular tracking.
Step 9 : You are now ready to save your Key Result.
Click on the Save & Exit option to save your Key Result.
If you wish to create more goals related to your Key Result (applicable only if "KR to KR cascading" is enabled for your organisation) :
Click on the Save and add a child Key Result button to add a child Key Result that aligns to this Key Result.